This position will remain open until filled. Applicants will be referred to the selection manager once a month.
The Charles George VA Medical Center in Asheville, North Carolina is seeking a Physician- Pulmonologist to work with Medicine Service. The incumbent physician is expected to provide comprehensive patient care in the form of consultative inpatient and outpatient pulmonology patient care at the CGVAMC. The physician will manage patients with ongoing pulmonology conditions, inpatient and outpatient, in collaboration with other services of the CGVAMC. The incumbent is accountable to the Chief of Pulmonology section assuring the most effective delivery of care in services within Medical Service.
Duties include but are not limited to:
*Incumbent of this position will interview, examine, select diagnostic testing appropriately, and interpret/collate results to coordinate patient care.
* Incumbent will communicate and document with clarity to patients and medical personnel to coordinate patient care.
* Provide midlevel supervision within Pulmonology section.
* Incumbent performs procedural skills which may include arterial puncture, EKG interpretation, arthrocentesis, abdominal paracentesis, venipuncture, nasogastric tube insertion, PFT interpretation, moderate sedation, lumbar puncture, thoracentesis, intra-arterial line & central venous line placement, Swan-Ganz catheter insertion, FOB with routine procedures, bronchial stent placement, FOB with transbronchial biopsy/aspiration, chest tube insertion and fluoroscopy equipment usage.
* Incumbent will share after hour call responsibilities with section physicians in rotation, participate in the educational programs for section personnel as well as the medical staff.
* Incumbent will participate in monitoring the quality, safety and appropriateness of patient care, both at the Section and facility level and carry out miscellaneous activities of the Medical Service inclusive, but not limited to special projects that help fulfill and/or enhance the mission of the Department of Veterans Affairs as assigned by the Chief of Medicine/Chief of Staff and the Charles George VAMC Executive Leadership.
* Incumbent will attend Pulmonology team meetings.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 40 hours per week with call rotation
Functional Statement Title/#: Pulmonologist/#000000
* Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
* Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
* Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
* Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
* Proficiency in spoken and written English.
* Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: Current BLS required and ACLS desired.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
To qualify for this position, applicant must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement. Physical Requirements:?, Applicants must meet physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to placement is required. This is a designated drug testing position. After appointment, you will be subject to random testing for illegal drug use. Requires lifting 15-44 pounds; pushing (approx. 2 hours); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers and both hands; walking and standing from 3-5 hours and kneeling. Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously. Must have depth perception and ability to distinguish basic colors and shades of colors. Hearing aid is permitted.
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. CV or Resume (required).
2. Online Occupational Questionnaire (required).
3.VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists& Chiropractors.
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1952447.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.