The Physician (Hospitalist) position is located at the673rd Medical Group VA/DoD Joint Venture Medical Treatment Facility (JVMTF), Joint Base Elmendorf/Fort Richardson (JBER). The DoD/VA Joint Venture Hospital serves the health needs of Alaskan DoD and Veterans Affairs (VA) beneficiaries through TRICARE, DoD/VA Joint Venture, and the Alaska Federal Health Care Partnership. The Physician (Hospitalist) is accountable to the Associate Chief Nurse for Joint Venture and clinical oversight by the Chief of Staff at the Alaska VA Healthcare System (AVAHS), Anchorage, Alaska and SGH, 673rd Medical Group, JBER. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Independent care provider who is highly skilled in the management of patient's primary care needs or subspecialty evaluation and treatment.
- Evaluation, care and disposition of patients, ordering appropriate diagnostic tests, determine need for hospitalization at the VA/DoD Joint Venture hospital, or transferring the patient to another facility.
- Some duties may be required at the VA Outpatient Clinic.
- Provide age-specific care for young adult (18-39 years), middle adult (40-64 years), older adult (65-74 years) and geriatric (over 75 years).
- Provide effective education to patients, family, students, post-graduates and co-workers as appropriate.
- Identify quality improvement (QI) issues and participate in QI monitoring and in evaluation of clinical practice.
- Utilize QI findings to improve quality of care, and provide leadership in adhering to and promoting practice based on current standards of clinical practice.
- Practice, promote and implement current safety policies and procedures.
- Assess safety needs of patients and implements opportunities to improve environmental and operational safety.
- Support safety, occupational health, and fire protection programs for VA and the DoD by the application of approved standards, regulations, practices and work methods.
- Use both VA and DoD systems including but not limited to: VA and DoD Network Access; VA Vista and CPRS (Computerized Patient Reporting System); DoD ALHTA; DoD CHCS (Composite Healthcare System); Do D Essentris; JLV (Joint Legacy Viewer); DoD Learning Management Systems; VA TMS (Talent Management System).
- Provide a full range of staff physician services for inpatient beneficiaries including initiating orders for lab work and X-rays, prescribing medications and consulting with specialist and sub-specialists form the staff.
- Work with other specialists and primary care physicians.
- Support the inpatient service at JBER JV Hospital covering the intensive care unit and medical ward, and doing internal medicine consultations and inpatient/outpatient procedures.
Work Schedule: Fulltime: 15 rotating shifts per month including nights, weekends, and holidays as necessary at discretion of management. Maximum of 160 scheduled hours of 2 pay periods. 7/8 Part Time schedule coveringup to15 shifts per month and includes various shifts such as nights, weekends, and holidays.
Functional Statement Title/#: Physician (Hospitalist)/000000.Basic Requirements:
- Citizenship of the United States.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine.The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: Board Certified or Board Eligible in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary, or Critical Care. ACLS/BLS preferred. ACLS/BLS will be required prior to appointment.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social).Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard.
Physical Requirements: Moderate lifting (15-44 lbs); Moderate carrying (15-44 lbs); Straight pulling (1 hour); Pulling hand over hand (1 hour); Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (4 hours); Standing (4 hours); Repeated bending (4 hours); Both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Both eyes required; Depth perception; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of color; Hearing (aid permitted); Emotional/mental stability.
May be subject to exposure to blood borne pathogens and other potentially infectious materials.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
*Other(VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Physician, Dentists, Podiatrists, and Optometrists)
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Other Veterans Document
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc.You will not be contacted for additional information.
Resume/CV is Required. See links below for other required documents.
VA Form 10-2850: http://www4.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850-fill.pdf. Required.
OF-306: http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf. Required.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:You are encouraged to apply online.Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options.The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1943227.
NOTE:If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.